Brother MFC-8220 Fuser Replacement Procedure LM2579001
Below you will find the illustrated instructions for the Brother MFC-8220 Fuser Replacement Procedure. These machines are old enough that they don’t really have a fuser life rating. Putting 100,000 prints on these shouldn’t be a problem. We still use one in our office and it runs around 125,000 to 150,000 on a fuser and that is using compatible toner cartridges.
Ghosting or a scratched fuser hot roller is the main failure I see on these units. If it gets old enough, you might run into broken hot roller gears. Anyway, below you will find the replacement instructions. Also, you will find links to order in a replacement fuser and at the bottom of the article you will find links to some replacement models.
1. DX Feed ASSY (MFC-8840D/8840DN, DCP-8045D/8045DN only)
2. Rear Cover C (MFC-8440, DCP-8040 only)
(1) Remove the bind B M4x12 Taptite screw, and then remove the rear cover C.
3. Outer Chute (MFC-8440, DCP-8040 only)
(1) Remove the outer chute.
(2) Remove the outer chute tray.
4. Rear Cover MP ASSY / Outer Chute MP ASSY (MFC-8840D/8840DN, DCP-8045D/8045DN only)
(1) Remove the rear cover MP ASSY.
(2) Remove the outer chute MP ASSY.
5. Brother MFC-8220 Rear Cover L/R
(1) Remove the two bind B M4x12 Taptite screws, and then remove the rear cover L.
(2) Remove the two bind B M4x12 Taptite screws, and then remove the rear cover R.
6. NCU (MFC-8440/8840D/8840DN only)
Note : I’m not 100% sure if this part needs to be removed. I think it does in order to get to one of the fuser screws. If you do need to remove it, I think it doesn’t have to be fully removed, just enough to get to the screw and maneuver the fuser out of the unit.
(1) Disconnect the connector.
(2) Remove the two cup S M3x6 Taptite screws, and then remove the NCU unit.
(3) Remove the cup S M3x6 Taptite screw, and then remove the NCU shield cover.
(4) Remove the two cup S M3x6 Taptite screws, and then disconnect the connector.
(5) Remove the NCU.
(1) Disconnect the heater harness and thermistor harness.
(2) Remove the bind B M4x12 Taptite screw and the shoulder screw, and then remove the fixing unit.
Note : There are minor differences in the machines and how they look. I’ve used pictures from the MFP version.
There is a lot of pictures for this model because of the different versions. However, it’s one of the easiest fusers to replace in a Brother machine. Click on the link below to get your Brother MFC-8220 Fuser Replacement on order or look further down to see some replacement models.