50.9 Fuser Error HP Color LaserJet 3500, 3550, 3700 Overheat Error
The 50.9 fuser error is telling you the fusing unit overheated in the HP color laserjet 3500, 3550, and 3700 printer. Sometimes a result of heavy usage, dealing with certain media types, improper ventilation, or enviromental conditions. The unit might start working again just by turning off and waiting a few minutes for it to cool down.
2. Check for proper ventilation. Make sure nothing is leaning on the machine and the vents on the side aren’t covered by post it notes or anything.
3. Heavy cardstock can cause overheat issues. The fuser heats up more when using heavy cardstock to make sure the toner is properly bonding to the paper. If you are doing large print jobs of this type try breaking down the jobs to a smaller amount to allow the printer to periodically cool down.
4. Make sure the unit is not being run in extreme enviromental conditions. If the temperature outside the machine is too hot it can cause overheat issues resulting in the 50.9 fuser error.
NOTE: Wait at least ten minutes before removal to allow the unit to cool down
1. Open the lower rear door.
2. Press in on the left hinge (1) pushing towards the right to release the pin, then pull the left side of the tray out and to the left (2) to remove it.
3. Hold the release tabs on each side of the fuser by placing your thumbs on the top tabs (1) and your forefingers on the lower tabs (2). Press up on the bottom tabs (2) to release the assembly and pull it toward you to remove it.
50.9 fuser error Failure (Abnormally High Temperature Sub Thermistor)
1. The connector between the fuser and the printer is not connected properly. Reseat the fuser. Check the connector J5013 between the fuser and the printer. Replace it if damaged.
2. Short in the sub thermistor. Turn the printer off and remove the fuser. Measure the resistance between the fuser connectors J5013LA-4 (SUBTH) and J5013LA-3 (+3.3V). If it reads 600 ohms or below (at ambient temperature), replace the fuser. HP Q3655A Laserjet 3500/3700 Fuser Kit
3. Faulty DC controller PCB, replace the DC controller PCB.
Conclusion about the 50.9 Fuser Error on the HP Color Laserjet 3500, 3550, and 3700 Printer
OK, that’s how you test the unit. If you’re not technical I wouldn’t worry too much. Pretty much if you get this error turn off the machine unplug machine, make sure it’s plugged into a wall socket, let it sit for 10 to 20 minutes, then plug back in and turn on. If that doesn’t fix it then you will have to replace the fuser. Click on the link below to order the part. Hopefully this article has helped you with your 50.9 fuser error on your HP Color Laserjet 3500, 3550, and 3700 machine.
HP Q3655A Laserjet 3500/3700 Fuser Kit
Find printer service newsletters, parts, and more at: http://www.laserpros.com/
- Starting at $84.00 as of 2/28/13