HP Color LaserJet 3500, 3550, 3700 50.2 fuser error
On the HP color laserjet 3500, 3550, and 3700 printers the 50.2 fuser error means the thermistor inside the fusing unit has read an incorrect value. Several different factors can result in this fuser error being displayed on the control panel. One problem could be with the voltage being supplied to the machine. Plugging the printer into a power strip or battery backup can result in not enough power being given to the machine. HP and any other srvice company would recommend the printer being plugged straight into a wall outlet. Age or scratching on the heating element can also result in the 50.2 fuser error. Not something you can really see. The heating element is protected by the fuser film which slides over the element lubricated by grease. Over time the element developes little scratches in it resulting in the printer taking longer to warm up or intermittent errors. Sometimes just truning the machine off and on will correct the issue. If that doesn’t work than turn the machine off, unplug, and let the machine sit 10 to 20 minutes. Take the fuser out and reseat it. Turn the printer back on and see if the error goes away. If the 50.2 fuser error continues to come and go then replacement of the fusing assembly will be needed, HP Q3655A 3500/3700 Fuser Kit.
HP Color LaserJet 3500, 3550, 3700 Fuser Removal
1. Open the lower rear door.
2. Press in on the left hinge (1) pushing towards the right to release the pin, then pull the left side of the tray out and to the left (2) to remove it.
3. Hold the release tabs on each side of the fuser by placing your thumbs on the top tabs (1) and your forefingers on the lower tabs (2). Press up on the bottom tabs (2) to release the assembly and pull it toward you to remove it.
50.2 error – Fuser Failure (Abnormal Warmup).
Perform the following steps:
1. The connector between the fuser and the printer is not connected properly. Reseat the fuser. Check the connector J5013 between the fuser and the printer. Replaceit if damaged.
2. Break in the main thermistor. Turn the printer off and remove the fuser. Measure the resistance between the fuser connectors J5013LA-2 (MAINTH) and J5013LA-1 (GND). If it is not within the rage of 330k ohms to 50k ohms (at ambient temperature), replace the fuser.
3. Break in the fuser heater. Measure the resistance between the fuser connectors J5013L-2 (FSRH) and J5013L-1 (FSRN) with the fuser removed. If it is not within the range of 12 ohms to 52 ohms (at ambient temperature), replace the fuser unit, HP Q3655A 3500/3700 Fuser Kit.
4. Faulty DC controller. PCB Replace the DC controller PCB
Conclusion about the 50.2 Fuser Error on the HP Color Laserjet 3500, 3550, and 3700 Printer
Alright I covered the basics of things to check with the 50.2 fuser error. Majority of the time though its just the fuser going out. Turning it off and on might fix the problem in short term but typically comes back in the next few weeks. If a new fusing unit is needed to fix the 50.2 fuser error in your HP color laserjet 3500, 3550, and 3700 printer then click on the link below to purchase one.
HP Q3655A 3500/3700 Fuser Kit
Find well displayed printer parts diagrams at: http://www.printerworks.com/
- Starting at $84.00 as of 2/28/13